Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Maryland Years

In my first BLOG about my trip from birth to 70 years old I said my life was like in three segments, the West Virginia Years, The Maryland Years, and The Florida Years. As I started writing about my journey to 70 years old, going through old pictures, just reliving my life in memories I realized you can't cover as much as I have done and seen in my trip through my life in a couple of BLOG's, actually I could right a book but then probably no one would read it. LOL

A few memories from my 20 years living in Maryland. My Father died in 1952 when I was 12 years old. The town I grew up in Cass, West Virginia as I said in my first BLOG was a lumber town and the mill was going out of business so my Mom said we were going to move to Maryland as she had a couple of Brother's that lived there and she would be able to get a job there. I really did not want to leave West Virginia but in hindsight it probably was the best thing that ever happend to me.

A lot of thing happened in my 20 years in Maryland. One of the great things was growing up there in the  fabulous fifties, what a great decade. A really fun time in our history to be a teenager.

A lot of things happened to me that shaped the rest of my life, I met my brother Butch Lichlier, he actually is my best friend but we could not have been closer if we were real brothers and still are till this day. My best friend met a beautiful girl named Bernadine Curci, he introduced me to her best friend Louise Creamer who became my wife and the mother of my child..

I started my business career in Maryland with my first gas station and went on to make my living as a service station operator for 32 years. 8 years in Maryland and 24 years in Florida.

As I said about West Virginia I can say the same thing about Maryland, I have nothing but great memories from my years there and although I have been gone from there for 37 years some of the people I still regard as my best friends are friends that I made there.

History has said that the fifties were the best time our country ever had and I feel very lucky to have been a part of those great times.

No comments:

Post a Comment